From: "Dean W. Cains" <dwc@domain.elided>
To: alfa@domain.elided
CC: "Matthew Hanselman" <mjhanselman@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [alfa] Dead springs on Magnet Marelli advance mechanism?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:19:23 -0400

Hi Matt:

I'm not sure what criteria you're using to determine the condition of the advance springs, but a fair amount of free play is built into their mechanism. The only proper way to check your timing, and advance/retard with rpm changes, is with a timing light (preferably an "advance" timing light with a dial indicator or digital display). Tried that? Assuming that you have, there are other considerations, and given the choice between having the timing set properly at 5000 rpm's or idle. most of us would choose the former, and that's not necessarily something that needs intervention. Further, if the distributor is in fact from an '80 Spica Spider, you'd be better off with the original distributor, with regards to having an advance curve that suits the '73 Spica engine. Finally, I'm sure most of us are unsure what distributor you're speaking about, since all the Spica cars used Marelli distributors, although among the later cars, some had dual sets of points and some were breakerless. Do you have a model number? Does your '73 have its Spica system still in place?