[alfa] Solex C40 DDH "8" carburetor

First of all I apologize posting a question concerning a carburetor from an Alfa Romeo since I don't actually own an Alfa. However if it makes anyone feel any better this carburetor is going on a Fiat. I could really use some help on this particular carburetor and have exhausted search engine attempts.

I found this carburetor on Ebay and decided to buy it as a cheaper alternative to a Weber DCOE.
The guy said it came from an Alfa Romeo.

I have a few questions.

I've just about quit buying used carburetors because it seems like something is always missing, broken or jerry rigged and this carburetor is no exception.

First thing I need to know is where can I get parts for this carburetor? What other makes/models used this particular carburetor? I have searched Yahoo and all I can find are some pages in the Czech republic on the Alfa Romeo models it went on that are no help. There has to be a supplier of rebuild kits somewhere. Preferable in the United States.

The carburetor is missing a few bits. First of all it's missing the choke return spring. I should be able to find that one at NAPA if push comes to shove but there are two things I am not quite sure about. For one there is what looks like a bent jet where one of the screws goes that secures the float hat to the body. It's corresponding hole has a mismatched tapered screw. When I pulled the float hat off, the float hat holes are threaded but the body isn't which leads me to believe something other than plugs are supposed to go in these holes.

I can email someone photos of the carburetor.

This carburetor is going to be used for a turbo application. It's either going to be used on the suction side of a turbo on a 2 liter twin cam or will be used on my current project a 1500cc Fiat SOHC engine as a blow through application.

Would this carburetor be too large for a 1500cc engine? If used as a single?

This carburetor has several things going for it. For one it has a black plastic float instead of brass so it doesn't have to be filled with foam so it won't collapse when the carb is pressurized.

Second it doesn't have any vacuum ports to trick out.

Third and this may not be what it was intended for but the base of the carburetor has holes factory drilled into the throttle shafts. What this means is I can fabricate a plate to go under the base of the carburetor and feed tubes from the top of the carburetor. This will seal the throttle shafts from leaking. Otherwise I would have to remove the throttle shaft to drill holes and I have never had any luck removing throttle plate screws. I end up rounding them off.

And last being more knowledgeable on Bosch L-jet I'm a bit confused about some other bits on the carburetor. If the hat is removed, the idle and main jets are exposed but externally, there are two other things that looks like jets. They stick into the venturis. I'm not sure what those are. One of them is slightly bend and is a bit hard to remove.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a throttle cable to this carburetor. On the end of the shaft is what looks like an idle speed screw but it appears to have no function. Other than maybe used to synchronize both carburators.

There is not enough room to slip a throttle connector from a Weber carburetor onto the shaft without removing the other piece which acts as a throttle stop. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

And of course I will probably have to rejet the carburator. So I will need new main jets.

And one last question. Would an air cleaner from a DCOE, IDF or Dellorto fit this Solex? I can buy a turbo hat from Turbo City for an IDF that will save me some time.

If anyone has any breakdowns of this carburetor and it's components can you email it to me?

And any information on this carburetor appreciated. Thanks.

James Seabolt
Tennessee, United States
Homepage --->>> http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/

2003 Subaru Baja
1987 Yugo GV
1980 FIAT 2000 "TURBO" Spider
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (Not a Ford Galaxie!!)