[alfa] No start spider update

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and suggestions in response to my request
for assistance after the spider suddenly stopped running on the way home the
week before.

Today I was able to go through the entire system once again.  I was also able
to check some things more completely.

The Spider started today.

The responsible culprit was the rotor.  Although I had spark the timing of the
spark was off.  The distributor is worn and allowed the rotor to impact one or
more of the cap contacts which was enough to shear off the locating tab inside
the rotor.

I had initially checked the cap and rotor.  the cap shows no signs of impact
and I couldn't turn the rotor as it was firmly attached to the distributor
shaft.  Today I wanted to remove the rotor to make sure it was located
correctly.  I really had to work at getting it off.

Almost unbelievably Autozone had a cap and rotor in stock.  A side story, when
it was my turn at the counter the conversation went like this.

Partsman  What kind of car.

me    Alfa Romeo

PM    Alfa what???

Innocent bystander pipes up and says Alfa Omega, Oldsmobile made those.  So
the partsman starts looking under the Oldsmobile section for an Alfa Omega
while the innocent bystander's companion starts to ridicule the innocent
bystander for his ignorance.  The parts man finally made it to Alfa Romeo and
told me he had never heard of Alfa Romeo and had never been to that section of
the computer before and never sold a part for an Alfa.   He looked up the
rotor, asked my if I wanted the cap too since they had both in stock.  As I
left the innocent bystander was still taking abuse.

Yesterday the fuel pump relay was buzzing.  I figured I couldn't break it too
much more so I pried it apart and I could see that when cranking the relay
would activate but it would just buzz and arc and not pass enough volts to
start the fuel pump.  It worked properly the first 5 or 6 times I checked it.
I thought I had found the problem.  I borrowed a suspected good relay and put
that in place, no change.  Today after finding the rotor problem and getting
the car to start I put my original relay back in.  Works perfect.  I will
replace it anyway as I don't believe it has much life left in it.

STan, you were right.  It was the last thing I checked.

Thanks again to all
Wayne
86 Spider Graduate