[alfa] Two questions about my Spider

Just last week, I hopped in the Alfa and was down the block when I realized
that it sounded really loud, like my muffler had fallen off or something.
Luckily, there's a muffler place nearby and I pulled in and had them put it up on
the rack. Everything was intact, and the only thing we could find was a small
threaded opening in the muffler, opposite the O2 sensor, if I remember
correctly. The mechanic didn't know what it was for, but we plugged it up with a bolt
and it silenced it.

Now I'm panicking, thinking that I probably have some important part missing
off my car. Does anyone have a clue what would be in that threaded hole?

My second question is about gas- in my manual and on my gas access door, it
says to only use Premium gas in my car.   At $2.49/gallon, it's an expensive
fill-up for such a small tank. Do I really have the run Premium in my tank?

Thanks for any help,

Jamie in Las Vegas