[alfa] Re:VVT

 Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:37:53 -0400 From: "David Jarman"
 <jarmanhome@domain.elided> Subject: Re:[alfa] VVT - worth
 keeping?

 Paul Witek asked a good question regarding retaining the
 Variable Valve Timing on an '81  two liter, which he is
 apparently building for a hot street engine. Didn't see
 much discussion, so I'll throw in my two pence...

 I would not disable the VVT, to me it performs a valuable
 function in augmenting mid-range power which is something
 you will be looking for in that motor, Paul.  Unless I'm
 really full of frijoles (which is possible...), I would
 think the other improvements would tend to enhance the
 effect of the VVT.  I suggest you run it by Rex Chalmers of
 AlfaCentro for much more qualified advice than I can give,
 however.

 As for verifying the VVT operation, simply look into the
 hollow recess in back of the solenoid section, where the
 unit bolts to the head.  If all is well, you should be able
 to see a small pin engage and release as you rev the motor.
 Good luck!

 Dave Jarman Lexington, KY USA
I also like the idea of keeping it ( smog sniffing every two years here in California ) - but I am quite sure that Paul has what I have - a hydraulically actuated VVT.
There is no way to determine it's health ( that I am aware of ) from outside the cam cover.
OTOH, I have never had an issue with it either, in 22 odd years.
I know - how would I know?

The electric ones are a fixture on the Motronic, not the SPICA/L-Jet
And ugly, too.
And messy.
Not that I have a strong opinion about these sort of things...

Thuupt.
--

jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce