Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 05:31:35 -0400
From: "Ron Abela" <ronandkristi@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Gear Box Issue??

I am having issues with my clutch on hot days during stop and go traffic the
gearbox is having a tough time engaging 1st or 2nd well and it grinds bad.

Currently I cannot adjust my clutch any further as it is at it max and there
is about 2.5" to 3" inches of pedal free travel prior to clutch release..

On hot days I believe  all the metal is expanded and this makes the problem
worse thus creating this shifting issue and clanging sound especially when I
am in neutral. In other words the sound subsides when I press the clutch to
the floor.  This morning I took the car out for a 10min spirited run (after a
cool off night) and it ran well. However, there appears to be a minor
clanging
sound when in neutral.

Can you please tell me if my 1600 Duetto is suppose to have a metal spacer
between the gearbox bellhousing and the motor where they connect?
I cannot recall placing a spacer of any sort between my gearbox and motor and
this is leading me to believe that this missing spacer may be the culprit?

Anyone hear have any  issues like this before I am really not sure what to
look for and would like any input on this?

Also, the clutch was just about new when we reinstalled the motor and gearbox
about 1000km ago..

Any help would be great.

Ron