[alfa] 164 V6 valve guides follow up

Well I've got the engine out and disassembled (major pain) and I've run into
something that I've never seen before.  On the rear head I had an extremely
hard
time pulling the rocker arm shaft.  I ended up using a combination of slide
hammer
and punches to get it out.  The shaft seems bent just a little.  There are
some
spots of fretting and galling on the shaft.  I haven't cleaned the head yet
so I can't
tell if one of the bores is damaged but I doubt it because the damage is in
several
different spots on the shaft.  Preliminary measurements on the head show very
little
warpage (less than .005")  So I'm a little stumped here.  The warpage of the
shaft
 is very little.  To the point that when rolled across a flat surface you can
just
make out spots of light under one end.  The shaft does not show signs of oil
starvation.  Anyone ever seen this before?  I can see a few signs that the
valves
have been removed on this head before (a few nicks on the wall from a valve
spring
compressor).  I guess it may have had a timing belt failure at some point but
don't see any witness marks on the pistons.

On another note after I removed the engine and pulled the head I discovered
that I
no longer own a valve spring compressor.  I must have lost it in one of my
many
moves.  A quick trip to sears got me a C clamp style compressor so I only
needed
the adapter that IAP sells.  Well they were out of stock so I was screwed.
I came
up with something that worked great.  A 3/4" PVC fitting with a couple of
holes
cut in the side worked great.  I would recommend that a small piece of metal
be used between the valve spring and head walls in case something slips but
it worked for me in a pinch.

Dave McCrory
Maryville, TN
93' 164 (spread all over the garage)