RE: [alfa] Milano driveshaft questions ...help please?

> 1)  "unbolt the front coupling from engine (Through
> bell housing)" Is this
> accomplished from underneath the car or through the
> engine compartment?

it is from below, i am a fan of a craftsman 19mm
ratcheting box wrench for this job. having one on hand
will make the job much less painful. though it sounds
like jeff recommends using extensions (about 18
inches?) and coming in from behind, parallel to the
driveshaft.

> 2) "removal and installation of center support will
> require the use of a
> press" Is there another possible way to fit the
> center bearing?

i don't recall using a press, though my memory is a
little fuzzy on this part.

> 3) On the last step could you please explain which
> is "the pinch bolt" Is
> this one of the six bolts that hold the donnut into
> the front coupling?

the pinch bolt clamps a three-finger yoke to the
splined end of the driveshaft. the three fingers bolts
to the front donut. when you go to remove your
driveshaft from the yoke, take out the pinch bolt, the
rotate so that the slit is facing down, and then knock
a small cold chisel into the gap, that'll open it up
off the splines.

i think jeff left out a step: before jacking the rear
axle tube, you must remove the six bolts holding the
crossmember to the chassis.

another note: make sure the sperical bearings on the
drive shaft are in good shape and properly seated. i
can't recall if there is one in the center, but there
is definitely one at the rear that can be pushed back
off it's seat, which will result in the mother of all
driveshaft vibrations (BTDT).

you can consider your self fortunate. when my front
giubo failed, it was at 5krpm. sounded like a grenade
and totally ripped a finger off the front yoke. which
reminds me: if your blown giubo is the front, and it
has more than one piece missing, make sure the others
are not wedged against the flywheel. if so, they will
be turned into a fine rubber mist which will gum up
the starter (BTDT, too).

regards,
-ethan schartman
-87 milano gold