[alfa] 89 Spider Mechanical issues

If this is a second posting of the same thing, I apologize, as it looked like
the first one didn't get sent.

I have decided to get back on the digest as I have some issues with an 89
Spider Veloce that sat under a tree in the mountains for 4 years. Seems like
that is a typical resting place for wayward Alfa's that don't run.
The head was replaced but the car was still a gross polluter. I replaced the
air flow meter and catalytic converter. It passed smog with flying colors.

The speedometer doesn't work. I checked the cable and it is fine, lubricated
it and reinstalled. Could the cable transducer be bad? What makes them go bad?
Can it be in the speedometer in the car?
Since I am driving by the tach only...what speeds would I show for 3,000,
3500, 4000 rpm in 5th gear with the 4:10 rear axle ratio?

The rear pinion is shot. It has some up/down play and it makes noise at road
speed under a load. I have a 4:55 out of a 82 spider that I could drop in.
Will that work? What will the speedometer show for speedometer error?

The rear trailing arm bushings are busted and the rear wants to move around
under a cornering load. I am thinking of putting in the Performatek poly
bushings. Looks like the way to go. The hardest part looks to be getting the
old bushings out of the arms. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Christopher Boles
Veloce/SS/SV Register
http://www.veloceregister.net