[alfa] attaching RV mirror

In a message dated 6/1/2004 3:31:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>The rearview mirror in my 78 Alfetta fell off and the base that glues to the
>windshield had a adhesive pad on it. They didn't have anything like it at
>the local parts store so I bought two part glue specifically intended for
>mounting rearview mirrors to windshields. I used the directions but when I
>actually put the mirror with glue on the windshield it turned out that it
>doesn't actually mount flush and the glue won't bond. Obviously this is why
>the mirror was mounted with a foam adhesive pad in the first place.
These mirrors were originally attached using an adhesive pad which was quite
strong and also cushioned the shake between the metal mirror base and the
glass.  In some models, such as my 84 GTV6, it also has to straddle the painted-on
radio antenna.  After a time, the pad bakes into nothing, then you have to
scrape it off and replace it.  They don't last for ever.  They may not be
available any more as an official part.  DO NOT TRY TO USE RV MIRROR GLUE.  This is
intended for extremely lightweight, small, plastic mirrors as were found on US
cars.  There is no way this cement can hold up the burly, metal and 2 layers
of glass mirror you have!  I have had some success as was suggested with 3M
double-sided foam mounting squares.  They seem to last between 6 and 18 months,
depending on exposure.  Good luck.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA