Re: [alfa] Lap-Shoulder seat belts for Spider Quad

Dan,

A couple of years ago I went through the process of converting the seat belts on my '88. It can be
done and at least for my car it looks competely original when I've compared to other models. But
if I had only known, I surely would have bought another year model.

Turns out my mechanic was familiar with the retrofitting. He swapped the seats and replaced the
guides with shorter ones. I believe he had some minor vinyl work done on the sides of seats due to
the holes not matching exactly--but I am not sure.

Next, he removed the center belt anchor under the back deck. Unfortunately, I do not believe there
are exisitng points for a outboard anchors, since my mechanic had to send out for normal anchors
to be welded in. He replaced the belts with stock versions (there are mounting holes for the
buckles in-board between the seats) and removed the auto railings and motors. Finally, he fit with
a stock rear deck and new carpet.

Looks great, but set me back a grand. One small consolation, though: once the driver side motor is
removed, you can now replace the trunk/gas latch panel (the one which tends to break) with a stock
version, since the special longer version designed to cover the motor is not available and
impossible to find.

Jerry Hayek
Walnut Creek, CA

'88 Spider Veloce