[alfa] Timing covers and steering columns

A few days ago (June 1, 11:12 pm) I sent a note to the digest about two issues- the timing covers (which are not supplied in factory-matched sets with replacement blocks) and the U-jointed steering columns. A day later I received a notice that my note had not been delivered ("Connection timed out") and it has not subsequently appeared. Gene Brown has since addressed my skepticism about the timing cover question with a note that final fitting of the timing cover is done during assembly. I, along with probably many others, appreciate his useful contribution.

On the universal-jointed steering columns, which several people connected to late sixties  early seventies federal safety mandates, I had just noted that the Giulietta Sprint Speciale and Sprint Zagato had u-jointed columns from 1958 on, and that all versions  Berlina, Sprint, and Spider  of the 102 2000 and 106 2600 had universal jointed steering columns long before there were any USA federal safety mandates. Since in those cases it was all versions, Gene's explanation for the Montreal  "The Montreal requires the steering column with the u-joints due to the low position of the steering wheel"  would not apply. The only other reasons I could suggest would be entirely speculative. There are undoubtedly reasons some good ones, some real ones  but not 1974 reasons for 1958 designs.

Enjoy yours,

John H.