[alfa] Steering boxes

My 78 spider has a steering shaft with the universal joints (ZF steering box) as does my 72 Montreal (Berman steering box). The Montreal requires the steering column with the u-joints due to the low position of the steering wheel.

The Burman boxes on the Montreal are prone to cracking around the mounting holes. Supposedly this is due to flexing of the chassis where the steering box mounts and the heavy weight of the front end of the Montreal. When I had my steering box repaired the man who did the welding said that it was one of the most porous castings he had seen. A Montreal owner in Greece had some improved steering box castings made up with thicker walls. The castings were made from melted down Alfa four cylinder blocks.

Gene Brown
Simi Valley, CA