[alfa] Attaching rearview mirror with tape

Our company uses foam tapes to install its products and, sometimes, to make
aluminum structures that are held together with foam tapes (as is done in
aircraft manufacturing).  Not all foam tapes are the same, and not all are
intended for this type of use. You most likely want a white, 1/8",
"open-cell" double-sided foam tape; one that is really aggressive. 3m makes
excellent tapes; I'd ask for their recommendation. If you can't get a small
amount of tape from them (a sample perhaps?), you should be able to get what
you need from www.rshughes.com (again, I'd ask for a sample), or from your
local sign supply wholesaler.

Before you install the mirror, clean both surfaces with vinegar or alcohol
and let them dry. Keep your fingers off the tape and the surfaces to receive
the tape. Press the mirror onto the windshield firmly and hold it for a few
seconds ... or until your fingers go numb.  Then support the mirror and
don't drive the car for 24 hours.  This will allow your fingers to heal and
the adhesive to set up properly.  Trust me on this. Even with the right
tape, it won't stay up for long unless you clean the surfaces, use the right
tape and give the adhesive time to set.

Lyford Hale