 Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:35:26 -0400
From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] front covers

Yes, the biggest issue on front covers would the alignment of the front
timing gear bushing in the cover, compared to the rear timing gear bushing
in the block.  A secondary issue might be the bore for the front crank seal,
and whether it aligns with the main bearing journal bore in the block. I'd
think you'd have some wiggle room here, since the seal is rubber and will
conform to some extent.

I've seen front covers swapped among engines several times, but haven't done
it myself, and have never seen a problem.  I would guess the two timing gear
bushing bores couldn't be machined with the cover assembled to the block,
but who knows.

Andrew Watry