Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 01:30:20 -0400

From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>

Subject: [alfa] V6 crank seals

So I'm planning on putting my spare engine in the car next week, and

I'm going to try to make it not leak, so I bought new crank seals.

Now I'm wondering what the recommended procedure is to install them.

Every other oil seal I've ever dealt with didn't have a shaft running

through it at the time of replacement, but I'm not going to remove

the crank from this engine! My usual method of oil seal removal

involves beating the &#$% out of it with a punch and prying it out

with a huge screwdriver, but I don't want to beat up my crank so it

doesn't seal, or worse, fails completely, '89 Miata style.

Thanks,

Joe Elliott

'82 GTV-6