[alfa] RE: Fiat 126 made by FSA

This car was made in Poland by the FSA group who made the Polski Fiat 125
clone. Most 126's were aircooled twins, but when production was transferred to
Poland in the dying years of the model then the engine became a water cooled
unit. You still needed an hour glass to measure the 0-60 run, but everyone who
owns one gets fond of them...they become pets I suspect.

I'm not 100% sure of this next bit, but I think the factory in Poland is
pretty well moribund at present and there was recent talk of Rover using it to
build the Rover 75/MG ZT models ( much lower labour costs than UK) but I have
a feeling this plan has not got off the ground. I fear for MG Rover, which is
sad as no manufacturer anywhere is achieving more in terms of product with
next to no financial resources to hand. By comparison Alfa seem to have plenty
of resources to produce exciting designs, but it seems to me that it is
fundamental engineering shortcomings i.e.Indifferent chassis, poor suspension
longevity, electrics and (petrol) engines that break..and appalling service
that undermine  Alfa sales penetration in Europe.

Tim Hancock  Boston UK

164TS
164Super