[alfa] Which battery lead - part 2.

Hi All,

In an attempt to get off the diesel thread here is the second part of the question I posed
a while back.  In part one I asked if anyone could give a definitive reason why most
publications recommend disconnecting the negative, i.e. the ground connection, when
isolating the vehicle wiring for maintenance purposes.

In part two I take the subject matter a little deeper and pose a similar question, but
this time to do with when you have electric arc welding performed on your vehicle.  As
many exhaust shops today use a type of MIG or TIG welder to make neat joints in exhausts
etc it has always puzzled me that whenever I take my vehicles to such an establishment
they do not bother to disconnect the battery, or even ask if I have any sensitive
electronics onboard.

So what is the reason to disconnect the battery?  Is it to protect the electronics
onboard, as certain manufacturers service manuals suggest.  Nissan posts a big warning in
their service manuals to disconnect the negative terminal when electric arc welding is
performed.  Certain others insist that ALL ECUs etc must be removed before welding.  How
is that some only require the battery negative to be disconnected where others are adamant
that the ECUs must be completely unplugged?

Answers on a postcard to ------ ooops!  sorry been watching too many tv quiz programs, to
the list is fine.

As John H says " Enjoys yours".

John