[alfa] ES30/SZ stats

Mark Denovich, responding to Zak McGregor's statement that the ES30 was able to pull 1.1g, asked "Is it really true?" Dunno, but one source is probably the company, by way of Road & Track magazine; Dennis Simanaitis, the magazine's engineering editor, wrote in the May 1989 issue that "Alfa Romeo cited steady-state cornering limits in excess of 1.0g, and a little informal stopwatch work on my part confirmed this while we photographed the ES30 circling Balocco's skidpad." Granted that 1.1 is a lot more explicit than "in excess of 1.0", but who's counting?

Rob (or John?) Reeve gave another source, http://gear.ign.com/articles/318/318110p1.html which I looked up. The author states that the factory claimed 1.2g but that a professional driver has pulled 1.4g in it. He also says it has six forward gears, and it is based on Alfa's NASCAR racer which is unlike the standard 75 in having the engine placed longitudinally and driving the rear wheels, and that all were sold before rolling out of the Zagato workshops. (He is also illiterate, but that is a minor matter today.)

Back to biodiesel - -

John H.