Re: [alfa] Biodiesel, you're kidding right?

Thats the point exactly.   Biodiesel has the advantage of being instantly
useable in extant engine designs, and the stuff needs very little
infrastructure to produce in viable quantities.

Sure there may be issues about the amount of bio-mass created in its
manufacture, but nothing is insurmountable.  Take a look at the oil
production techniques using saline water supplies and algae.  IIRC they
produce over 50X the oil content of the best plant sources and can be
harvested in desert conditions about every three days !!!

The economic arguments for/against bioD are all based on various TAX regimes
and so are based on false, or at least changeable figures.

No-one seems to talk about the possible uses of BioD in the aviation
industry.  Forget cars for a second, then consider changing all gas turbine
aircraft to BioD tomorrow !!

If all countries used local BioD supplies we could all happily own 15 litre
V16 diesel engined cars because the more fuel you use the better it is for
the economy ;-))

PS:  Australia has just passed legislation to tax BioD at the standard fuel
rate, even though the various Gov'ts over the years swear the tax (excise)
is levied to try and reduce our polluting ways !!!  If Oz adopted BioD
tomorrow, even at 20% content, we could meet the Kyoto levels almost
immediately.

Beatle
'67 Duetto
'83 Landcruiser 6.2 GM V8 dsl