[alfa] Suitability of Diesels

<If, as I suspect, the Mercedes is supercharged then I maintain my position
that
equivalent gasoline engines are more suitable for passenger cars than any
diesel.>

Guess "suitable" is in the eye of the beholder.  Two years ago we bought a
Jetta TDI wagon because it was the only diesel car available in California.
It runs perfectly well and very cleanly on biodiesel, a fuel made from
plants.

My other two cars, the GTV and a Merc, require expensive (heading for $3 per
gallon) high octane fuel that is imported from countries that don't like
Americans very well.  The plants to make biodiesel can be grown by American
farmers who are presently collecting money for not growing anything (our tax
dollars at work).  That alone makes diesels suitable in my view.  Reducing
our dependence on fossil fuels, and thus on countries that despise us, is a
good thing.  And burning a fuel that is clean, safe, and homegrown in a
vehicle that gets 40 mpg while cruising at 75 ... well, that's priceless.

Lyford Hale