[alfa] Re: Alfa - Ferrari

I'm glad to have seen John's learned illumination concerning the birth of
the Montreal. These cars have fascinated me since the first time I saw one
on the racetrack in Charlotte in 1984 (the first weekend I ever drove on a
racetrack, in a GTA Junior Stradale, at that!).

Enjoying the comparison in his posts, I prefer the purity and clarity of the
stepnose first, the simplicity of the 1750 coupe second, the distinctive
Junior Zagato third, the fantasy of the Montreal fourth and the rather plain
2600 Sprint (I do like the underpinnings) fifth.

I've had the good fortune of driving several Montreals, both in stock
configuration and modified and equate the experience to that of Italian
"mid-year" Corvette. Won't stop, doesn't like to turn, but boy does it go!
The engine sound is delicious and the experience similar to the 308 family,
clearly both power plants are race bred. The cars are hearty, if a modicum
of care is taken...

Having owned a Mondial Quattrovalve Coupe, arrogantly shabby in condition,
for several years, I derive just as much pleasure from my 750 Spider Veloce
or any one of a number of my Bosch Spiders driving back and forth to work.
The Ferrari allows my mind to wander as I hear and feel the clang of the
shift lever hitting the metal gate.

As John says, enjoy yours...

-Peter