[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #98

I've just got to weigh in with my two cents worth... As a wanna be Ferrari
owner, I aspire to a 308GTS QV but will probably be able to afford a GT4, I have
often considered the cost of ownership. As a 16 year old I purchased my first
Alfa. I didn't have the money to pay the dealer and my parents certainly
weren't going to foot my car bills so I had to learn to maintain my car. I did,
and now I do all of my own work. Owning a 70's vintage Ferrari would have to be
considered along the same lines. If you are a checkbook mechanic I would
suggest that you stay away from any Ferrari unless you are rich. Assuming you are
rich I can't imagine why you would be looking for advice on the AD, you could
simply pay someone to care for the fleet. Owning a vintage Ferrari, at least
for me, would be a chance to vicariously bond with the mechanics both past and
present who have taken the Prancing Horse to victory. Further, on a real note
no one in their right mind is going to buy a 25+ year old Ferrari as a daily
driver. Besides, a 3 liter V-8 is no more difficult to maintain than a Fiat
Spider. Both engines are basically the same configuration, true the Ferrari is
Fiat X 2, but specifications are specifications. The myth surrounding Ferraris is
just that, if you can set the valves correctly in an Alfa you can set the
valves in a Ferrari. Same for the webers, the V-8 is basically two I-4s running
side by side on a common crank. Set up an Alfa dual point distributor, set up
the ignition on a Ferrari. Having said all that there are some things to
consider... Buy the best car you can and maintenance records are a must but think
about it... Ferrari does not use unique switches, belts, brakes or other
components. Brake pads from a Mercedes fit the 308 and the timing belts cross to
another car as well. All of the switches are stock Fiat. As long as you don't care
about the boxes the parts come in you will save money with a little effort.
Thomas Gonnella