RE: [alfa] Spider timing problems - won't start

There is a good possibility from what you describe that the timing is out
180 degrees.

Set the engine at #1 TDC (remove the #1 spark plug and look down the hole,
if you see an open valve go back around one more time). TDC is the 'P' mark
on the pulley.

With the engine at #1 TDC on the compression stroke, the ignition rotor
should be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire (the rotor should also be
pointing more or less forward if things are assembled correctly, but this is
not that important). Move the wires around in the cap so that the #1 wire is
in the proper place corresponding to the rotor, and then go 1-3-4-2 in a
clockwise direction.

See what that does. You may also have to diddle the position of the dist. to
get to run and then time it with a timing light.

Check this out and report back one way or the other ...

Remember, after major surgery or when in a bad neighborhood late at night,
always click your heels together three times while chanting (three times
corresponding to the clicking of heels) "Milan is the center of the
universe" ... almost always works for me

HTH,

Jeff