[alfa] Re: steering wheel restoration

Timothy,
I just refinished the wheel on my 78 Spider. Not a big deal at all, didn't even take it off the car (because I hear that can be a big deal).
Plenty of relaxed, patient sanding, stain, sand, urethane (I used Helmsman Spar), sand, urethane, sand, urethane.
That is the point I am at right now.
I decided to let the (hopefully) final coat of urethane set up for a few weeks before attempting to finish sand.
I asked about finish sanding urethane over at the Minwax forums recently for verification of how to finish the job (cause I wasn't sure how to finalize a urethane finish) and here is what I was told. Very lightly sand out the little remaining imperfections with some of those little spongy sanding pads of maybe 3 very fine grits. Then buff if necessary with some rubbing compound and wax.
Hope this helps..... You do have a wood wheel right?

Tony Martie
'78 Spider
Dallas, TX
http://tmpd.net