[alfa] Heater blower motor success

Hi all,
thanks for the advice I was given from everyone. I finally managed to get
the blower motor assembly out, on my car, which has A/C.

I removed the dashboard (and instrument cluster), suspended the pass. side
with a rope (did not remove from the car because instrument cluster wires go
through the dash pod part).
removed knee pads under dash (the bulky things on the '91 and later cars -
driver's side is connected to hood latch, so left it in there).
removed center console and shifter assembly, leaving exposed tranny
removed both seats for easier access
removed various conduits
took off four nuts securing top part of blower motor housing (heater core
housing) to the under side of the firewall.
removed carpeting surrounding the area
removed clips that hold tow halves of the blower motor housing together (2
on back side against firewall)
unscrewed TOP part of plastic housing for the A/C unit - ONLY the part that
goes between shifter linkage and blower motor, not the WHOLE plastic
housing - about 6 little screws.
disconnected hoses from heater core
dropped heater core housing from firewall
jiggled around, rotated, until bottom bottom part of blower motor housing
managed to rotate out from under the heater core.

what a nightmare.

My blower motor bearings were VERY tight. Motor was shorted too. I assume it
died from getting wet, but I can't imagine that small motor fighting those
tight bearings. New part was $80 from DiFatta, far cheaper than elsewhere.

Along with the reassembly, I am taking the opportunity to put in all new
carpets and upholestry from spider point in germany. Really nice stuff - ALL
leather seats for 219 Euro per seat (no more vinyl). Similar stuff is $950
in the U.S. I had the foam on the seat cushions beefed up too, before
putting on the new leather.

ciao,

Karl
'91 164L