[alfa] new rear brakes on '77 spider

Hey folks,

I've got to get new rear brakes for my spider (for the first time in 12 years' ownership!). I have two questions:
1) Any pitfalls I should look out for? I've got the cardisc to refer to, but is this any harder than doing the fronts (did this a few years back)?
2) If I decide to get better rear brakes (drilled discs, or better-than-stock pads) while I'm at it, without doing anything to the stock fronts, does that screw up the proportioning? Or does the proportioning valve take care of that?

Oh, one other question - what does it mean about the alternator when there's a crackling noise coming through the radio?

Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA