[alfa] Difference between Series 1 and 2,3,4 Spiders

Beatle and I have had more than a few friendly emails regarding Series 1
cars. I recently sent him (not very good) photos of the differences
between 1 and 2 (series) B-pillar interior plastic panels. They are
close, but no cigar. I also told him the cast chromed B-pillar top
base's are also not interchangeable.

Since I just sent in a few comments regarding steering wheels for these
cars, thought I'd add these to the collection.

I'm sure most who have had their Round-Tail for sometime are well aware
of these differences, but do hate to see people get burned by buying a
part at a swap meet / eBay only to find it won't fit their cars. I
imagine many sellers are also not aware so assume since the cars are
similar in many ways, most items such as this, are interchangeable.

I could send anyone photos if it is important for them to see the
differences - though admittedly they are difficult to see until you
actually  try to install a Series 2 part on a 1.

I'm aware I'm pontificating...again, but let me say to Series 1 owners -
you will have a great car by keeping it original and when it is time to
pass it on to one of your heirs or (heavens forbid) sell it, you will
get so much more out of it by keeping it original.

Yeah, I vary on complete originality, but rarely on items which include
cutting holes or are very questionable if the modification is "not in
the spirit of the Spider's original concept".

An example is headlight covers for the '69 Spider. The US version did
not come with them. So looking for that 100 point car, don't install.
However, the two notches for the covers are on "ours" just a it is on
"all others". My understanding is the modifications made specifically
for the '69 Spider were either (a) demanded by the US government - or -
(b) a knee jerk reaction by Alfa's concerns as to current and future
safety / smog legislation.

I'll be installing headlight covers on two of the '69 Spiders in the
shop.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA