[alfa] Fw: fine tuning V6 cam timing

Fellow Alfisti -
there is indeed a method for fine tuning the V6 cam timing for the 12 valve
version.
On page 00-27 of the Milano shop manual, paragraph 5, we are told "If the
notches on the camshafts and those on the related camcaps are not aligned,
carry out the adjustment operation by proceeding as follows."
Then it tells how to remove the pulley from the hub (3 bolts) and how to
pull the hub off the camshaft, with tool A.3.0521. The hub will come off the
cam with a fairly serious 'pop', because of the Morse taper fit that holds
them together.
Then it says to remove the "related tongue", which we call the woodruff key,
and rotate the camshaft until the notches line up, and then put in a new
o-ring and tighten up the big nut that holds the hub to the cam, followed by
the 3 small bolts that attach the pulley to the hub.
The 'related tongue' cannot be used because its groove has disappeared, and
it is superfluous in the first place because it's the aforementioned Morse
taper fit that fixes the pulley/hub to the cam.
I've used this method a number of times and it works, provided the mating
surfaces are really clean.
Using loctite on the mating surfaces would provide no benefit, but eventual
disassembly
would be practically impossible.
Please excuse the verbosity; the family tree has many preachers.
hth,
Hans

ps. the belt stays on the pulley during the entire process, and after the
hub is bolted back into the pulley, turn ONLY the cam until the knotches
line up .