Re: [alfa] 105 Benditalia Brake Boosters

You are right to suspect that a failed seal in the master cylinder will allow fluid to enter the servo. Replacing the seals in the MC (or the whole MC) usually fixes the problem. To my knowledge, the servos do not cause much of a problem in themselves. They are usually full of loose rusty scale which should be cleaned out but I have not had to rebuild one yet. A cleanup usually restores them to working order. A giveaway sign of a perforated diaphragm (apart from non-operation of the unit) is drawback of fluid into the inlet tract. This occurs when fluid has got past the MC seals and then gone further through the diaphragm into the vacuum side of the unit. I have also noticed that the servo shaft is usually packed with silicon grease which aids the sealing.

Michael Findlay
1971 Alfa 1750 GTV