[alfa] re: How (not) to install a Reinz head gasket

When I rebuilt my Alfetta 2.0L, I used an OEM head gasket, purchased from
Ferrari of Seattle and inside the Alfa orange/black package. I used no sealant
around the rear and it leaked almost immediately. I was pretty anal about the
installation and torquing sequence and it still leaked on me.

I talked with a fair number of knowledgeable people about the leak, including
Wes Ingram and John Norman, and got the same instructions - use a sealant
around the rear.

I bought a new gasket from John and he had the package marked up showing
where to put the sealant. I installed per his instructions and have had no
problems with leakage since.

I'm a believer.

YMMV

Tom