[alfa] Re: spider crank nut

Use a mirror to clearly see the lock tab over the crank pulley nut.

Caution A: the lock tab itself doesn't extend all the way up the side of the nut. It's only big enough to lock a portion of the nut - bottom third or so. If you get your finger on the nut you'll feel it.

Caution B: I heard several years ago that many(?) mechanics were foregoing the lock tab and using Lock Tite only to secure the crank pulley nut. So...

The best way to take the nut off:

Put an impact socket of appropriate size over the nut, if you have an AC car you may have to grind the O.D. of the socket to get it to fit inside the pulley. Use a 1/2 drive breaker bar with the socket. Turn the breaker bar/engine all the way over to the driver's side and rest the breaker bar on the inner fender, put rags under the end of the bar. Disable the fuel pump (pull fuse or disconnect relay) go in the cockpit and hit the starter. This will spin that nut right off! I've done several this way.

Thank you Fred Di! RIP.

Regards,
Roger

> From: owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest)
> Date: 2004/05/07 Fri PM 06:24:58 GMT
> To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: alfa-digest V10 #74

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment with a content-type header it could not parse.]