Re: [alfa] ALFA 164 windshield wipers have spazed out

Bill asks:
"the wipers on my 1991 164 are only moving about 3/4 of their arc and when
shut off they stop in just shy of the middle of the windshield.
where do I start to troubleshoot this?"

Bill, I'm assuming this happens regardless of wiper switch speed selection. As
Bernie Bennett suggested, check the securing nuts on the spindle first (the
cheapest and easiest culprit).  You should also pull the electrical connector
off the wiper drive motor, spray both male/female ends with contact cleaner,
and reconnect.  But if the wiper arms are tight, and the connections are
solid, then the problem is most likely in the limit switches on the wiper
drive unit.  You may be able to clean them with electrical contact cleaner,
but I would not suggest their disassembly (when you see the unit open you'll
know why!).  I had to R&R the wiper drive on our '94 164 when the heater core
blew and drenched the electrical limits with coolant (not a NEMA 12
splashproof enclosure, for you EEs out there).

Removal of the wiper arms and drive assembly is not difficult.  Remove the
plastic cover on the component bay and you will note the entire assembly is
held in place by three or four bolts/nuts (if I recall correctly our 164 sold
in 2001).  Leave the crank and arms in their existing relationship with each
other, and precisely mark the motor spindle and crank to ensure you get them
back together correctly.  You don't want to get your wipers out of phase or
binding!  Again, IIRC, you must remove the big nut from the drive spindle and
pry off the crank to get inside the drive unit.  Spray off the limit contacts
with cleaner, blow out with low pressure air.  Reinstall and test.

Maybe someone else has a better method out there, or alternate suggestion.

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA