[alfa] Spica vs Carbs

Stevan Thomas comments regarding whether to stick with Spica or switch
to Webers: "My car has 10:1 Motronic pistons, Euro cams, big intake
valves and mild porting. I'm a pedal to the metal type of driver, but
this IS a street car and is going to be my daily driver for the next 20
or so years."

*********

I've somewhat mellowed over the decades regarding Spica's. I'm going to
surmise a couple of things and may be way off here: Stevan is not rich,
though is willing to indulge his '73 Berlina both to make it reliable
but also be high on the fun factor scale. Secondly, not sure if he
commutes but obviously will have a number of times in the next 20 years
requiring him to be somewhere - no matter what.

I'd have to say go with the Webers. I'd also recommend you go with the
full dress Euro version regarding intake, air box, etc. Yes, you'll have
a good chunk tied up in it - Centerline lists everything needed except
the complete air box for $1,495. I'd also start with new, jetted for the
Alfa engine, Webers. I gather used Dellortos are readily available,
unfortunately parts for them aren't - at least in the US.

As long as I'm spending your money, get a good quality electronic
ignition system (if you don't already have one); remove the Spica engine
bay fuel filter and install a small filter (not inline) such as Filter
King which also has a fuel pressure regulator. I like having a small
fuel pressure gauge, but racer type guys laugh as in, "How do you know
how much pressure you have when you're turning 7,500 rpm?" If that
concerns you, you'll need to bring it inside the cockpit which means
you'll need in and out fuel lines also in the cockpit - which would
concern me more. Oh yeah, get a Facet fuel pump to replace your Spica
pump.

Sounds like a lot of work - it is - is expensive - it is - but if you
change both fuel filters regularly, carry a couple of throttle linkage
ends in the glovebox, bet you're never stopped by the side of the road
because of fuel problems, for more than a few minutes in the next 20
years.

I won't say the Webers will always be running spot on, but short of
really badly worn spindles, they'll get you there - but you would have a
lot of warning.

You should have the Spica rebuilt no doubt and if the Spica system is
set up correctly and you change that little filter regularly, should be
pretty darn reliable. But bet in 20 years, at least one belt breaks,
most likely at a very inopportune time. Also, as time goes on, you'll
need to have the Spica rebuilt again, most likely because there is gas
in the oil.

Boy I hate to be morbid or jinx anyone or anything, but how much longer
is Wes going to rebuild Spicas and how long is the supply of used donor
Spicas going to last?

Finally, I'm surmising a well set up Weber 'system' and a well set up
Spica system will probably get you the same amount of fun factor -
meaning one will be as 'hot' as the other - though I'm sure there are
those on both sides of this discussion who will disagree. The Spica is
probably smoother over the rpm range.

Now, if money is not a factor and 'daily driver' simply means whenever
you feel like driving it, then it's probably a toss-up.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA