I mentioned the Bosch +4's, which I think are really crap (and a marketing gimmick), after having tried them in the Spica Spider, the Bosch Spider, and my wife's Volvo 850 Turbo. They easily fouled in the Spica car, and both the Bosch Spider and Volvo ran rougher than usual, after a while. In fact, the Volvo basically just consumed the plugs and left few remains of the electrodes after about 7K miles. In both those cars I went back to the single-electrode Bosch plugs, and the improvement was easily noticeable. They've both also got lots of mileage (20K+ in the Volvo) on them now, and still look great. I think the obvious problem with the +4's is that all those ground electrodes shield the spark from the fuel/air mix. Compare the end of a Lodge HL to the Bosch+4, and you'll see just how buried the center electrode is in the Bosch.

Regards,

Dean

At 11:56 AM 5/2/2004, you wrote:

Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 07:53:10 -0600
From: "Hugh Shawcross" <shawcros@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] re: electronic ignition

>Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:32:29 -0400
>From: "Dean W. Cains" <dwc@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [alfa] electronic ignition

>I've been using a Crane XR3000 spark box and LX91 coil on my '74 Spider for
several years now.  The engine starts easier, runs >smoother, and the
ignition is just about maintenance-free (still need to change the plugs).
I've installed the same for several Alfa->owning friends, with similar
results.

Did you also change plugs with the new installation? If so did, what did you
go to?

Hugh
'74 Spider
Medicine Hat