[alfa] Followup on Spica low fuel pressure symptoms

Back on April 11 (V10#31) I described a chronic fuel pressure problem on my Spica injected Berlina:
"The Berlina was heavily loaded and we were driving @ 4000 rpm on the interstate. The
fuel pressure warning light was on, and after 80 miles the very slight hesitations turned into an inability to maintain speed. We limped to the nearest town with an auto parts store, and I purchased two feet of 3/8" fuel line, then replaced the fuel tank to fuel pump fuel line which eliminated the tank filter which I was hoping was clogged. Fortunately, this fix worked, and we were able to complete the rest of the trip at speed
with no further problems, although the fuel pressure light did light up occasionally under heavy load."

I cured this fuel pressure problem by applying the fix that has been in the public domain for many years, best described in the AROC Technical Notes Series on the Spica Fuel Injection System (Di Matteo & Hertzman, P64). Basically, the fuel outlet nipple on my pump had the larger size orifice of 3/32 instead of the recommended 1/16. The fix was pretty easy - I just got a butane torch and heated up the nipple (front nipple on the pump) after I removed it from the pump, then dripped plumbing solder onto the back side of the orifice, then kept the heat on the nipple for a good bond. After it cooled, it was easy to drill the orifice out with a 1/16 drill. Visually, there is not a lot of difference between 3/32 and 1/16, but the sq. area is about half. I've put 300 miles on the Berlina since the modification, and the fuel pressure light has not come on under any hard driving conditions. The engine also seems to run better at high RPM and heavy load, with no hesitations as I approach redline.

//kct, Powell TN (Now thinking of trying those relays for the headlights..)