[alfa] Re: th Ti Taledaga

Andrew,
One of the more magical cars that has ever graced the Alfa lore...  I've looked
into this one a few times, to the point of trying to find the real car.

Tom Zat claims to have it.

But I had a few disucssions with Jim Weber, and one can be reassured- the car
does not exist anymore.  Some of it IS in Tom's car, but for sure, the engine
is 100% wrong.

From the notes I had from Don Black, the car was built for the brand new IMSA
group, in a new sedan racing class.  The engine limit was 1700cc's.  As shown
in the CRH, this engine was a de-stroked 1750 motor (which was confirmed by
Don), while the rest of the car was a Ti Super, updated to GTA suspension
(sliding block, modified front uprights,...).

I've gotten one person who claims that the following was not true, BUT the lore
is that the car was SO fast compared to the competion, that the car was banned
after it's first race, at the Talledaga Motor Speedway (hence the name).  Being
Don Black, Alfa and IMSA quickly parted company...

After that, the car moved between a few owners, and was crashed quite a few
times.

I talked to Tom Zat about the car he does have, and he says that the engine is
an 1800, clearly the wrong one...

Anyway, I would love to hear more about this car too, if people know more
history about it!!!

Eric Storhok
AA, MI