[alfa] RE: Fuel Economy vs. RPM

 Are "efficiency" and "economy" at odds with one another?  Skip Pattnode
said the lower RPM the better, as long as the motor isn't lugging
(paraphrased).  I suppose also that one must balance efficiency vs.
reliability and engine life vs. the speed limits. --Andy

General rule of thumb is that an engine is at its most efficient on full
throttle at peak torque. Trouble is that it is unlikely to maintain
those revs. The throttle when anything other than fully open will
restrict the airflow into the engine and increase pumping
inefficiencies.

The main killer I find for fuel consumption is acceleration. For example
on the lhd 1.3 carbed Alfa 33 I have floating round, a steady motorway
run sitting about around 90mph will return about 40mpg (imperial
gallons). Used round town in stop start traffic and it will be lucky to
manage 20mpg.

All the best

Keith