RE: [alfa] Alfa Soft Top Labor Estimate

Hi Rodney:

I know you mentioned that you're aware of problems with Caribou's tops, but
to spend $525 in labor to have one installed just seems like throwing good
money after bad.  I've got one on my '74 Spider, which I installed myself,
and it was a major pain-in-the-ass.  Ed's tops just don't fit right, and
it's almost if he's made them to 7/8 scale.  Also, the sleeves for the top
bows are in the wrong places, with one too far forward, and the other too
far back, which only exacerbates the problems.  Finally, mine started to
delaminate after less than a year, meaning the 3 layers of the fabric began
to separate, and it just looks like crap, besides the over-tight fit.  I
never drive the car with the top up, and wanted something cheap, and I
certainly got what I paid for.  Never, never, ever again will I use a
Caribou top.  Any chance you can return (or resell on eBay) the top, spend
maybe $100 more, and get a quality top?  Just a suggestion, but compared to
the total cost, the extra $100 or so seems almost insignificant, and may
even be offset because the shop may charge even more to wrestle with that
Caribou top.  Just for reference, I've been driving 115 Spider's since the
late 70's, have installed maybe 11 or 12 tops, and never bought one that
was unsatisfactory until I bought from Caribou.  That even includes a few
pinpoint vinyl tops bought from the old AMCO company.  Ed's tops just don't
fit, regardless of his other problems with good business practice.  In this
case, I can't even consider saying YMMV.

 >Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
 >From: Rodney Leng <hages73@domain.elided>;
 >Subject: [alfa] Alfa Soft Top Labor Estimate
 >
 >Just got a quote for $525 at $70/hr which comes out to 7.5hrs. here in
San Francisco.

 >Did not tell the guy the top came from Caribou. Judging from people's
past experience from
 >them, he should be in for some real fun!

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's