[alfa] how long to install a new soft top

Jonathan Thames asks the above. StayFast lists 5.5 hours to install one
of their tops on their website. They don't mention how much per hour.
I'd guess a fairly hefty amount and would also assume they put two or
three installers on the job to remove and get it out that quickly. I'd
also assume if repairs to the top mechanism are required (most likely on
a Series 1 Spider top, less so on later ones) time / cost would go up.
Not a clue if they will repaint, but once again, assume they would use
fast drying paint and charge extra.

I'm mostly familiar with Series 1 (Round-Tail tops). There is inevitably
vast amounts of rust on the header and around the mounting hardware in
the rear sides. It has to be removed, any dings filled in, epoxy
primered, and painted. While we're on the header (again Series 1) the
inside header  needs to be removed (yes it unbolts). I carefully remove
the fabric and treat the underside the same as the top. Then I take it
to an upholstery shop and have them cut and install a similar fabric to
the underneath portion. All of the old glue should be removed first to
get a nice smooth finish, including the bows where the fabric 'tabs'
wrap around.

I'll cut this short since I assume Jonathan is asking about a Series 2
or 3 Spider.

I feel installing a Series 1 top is the third most difficult job (after
bodywork and painting) while restoring a Spider. I probably spend the
better part of five days from beginning to end on a top. For me it is
highly unprofitable, but don't / won't trust top shops to install since
I know they won't go through the details I feel are necessary to do the
job correctly.

IAP sells an informative manual for the Series 2 & 3 (4?) top
installation. I'm debating whether to add a page to my site for
installation of a Series 1 top.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA