[alfa] '74 tranny

 Thanks for the suggestions re my transmission repair dilemma.  It seems now that the crux of the problem was the 2nd gear itself, or more correctly, the toothed ring that is pressed onto the back end of the gear.  Although not easily visible, the ring had developed a slight ridge that kept the syncro from completely mating with the gear. A good part is on its way from California and we'll soon put it to the test.  Thanks to Wes Ingram's valuable input and Pete Bristow's dogged determination this little puppy should soon be humming a happier tune.

Dan H