Re: [alfa] How is it done? 5 point belts in Milano without Rollbar

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:02:25 -0700 (PDT) Monty Mathisen <Monty@domain.elided> wrote:
> I want to mount 5 point seatbelts in my rollbarless Milano! All I find have wrap-around
>houlder straps, and those can't be mounted to the floor in the back?  Ex,

DO NOT MOUNT TO THE FLOOR IN BACK.

i repeat,

DO NOT MOUNT TO THE FLOOR IN BACK.

you can get long harnesses that will do what you describe, and
YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT.

ok, i'll stop shouting now.

steep down angles on the rear portion of the harness will likely
cause compression fractures of the spine in a hard hit. the
SCCA, for example, has strict rules about permissible angles
and mountings for shoulder harnesses in order to protect
against this.

it is ok to take a long harness and mount to the rear lap belt
mount points in back. long harnesses are certainly available,
you just need to find the right vendor.

note that in real racing applications, i (wearing my tech
inspector hat) disapprove of excessively long harnesses.
in a race car, the best solution is a lateral bar in the main
hoop with a short harness wrap mounted to the lateral.

richard