[alfa] door seal insertion

In the process of replacing all the side window seals
and door seals on my 69 GTV,  I began using silicone
lube to help fit the seals into their respective locations.
Last week I was suddenly reminded that glycerin was
used extensively in the lab putting rubber fittings onto
glass while I was doing my Ph.D. (piled higher and deeper)
I managed to find a bottle at a small drug store and it
worked marvelously.  It has the advantage of actually
helping to maintain the softness of the rubber without
leaching out the plasticizers/solvents/softeners
as silicone does.  One of the specialty auto shops
here in the Chicago area sells a bottle of a glycerin
solution for 4 times what I found it at the drugstore.
They almost certainly have other ingredients and maybe
a solvent to help it come out of the bottle better.  Glycerin
is a liquid with the consistency of very thick syrup.  If you
pour it onto a rag it will not soak into the rag.  You have to
squeeze it into the rag before using the rag to wipe the
rubber parts.  I keep a box of latex gloves in the garage
to protect my hands when working on the cars. Strip them
off, throw them away and put on a clean pair as required.
Glycerin is one of the prime ingredients in a lot of hand
lotions and soaps, so you won't have to worry about the
softness of your hands after using the glycerin.