Re: [alfa] 164 Steering Rack Mount

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:13:51 -0500
Bernie & Diana Bennett <bennetts77833@domain.elided> wrote:

> The one you couldn't remove is part of the rack<g> A new rack comes with
> this bushing, I'm told. No replacement bushing is available and I've
> been told the left bushing is hard to get too. I believe my mechanic
> made Milano rack bushings work. When I had the work done and waited for
> bushings for a couple of months, I almost posted to the disgest asking
> about others were doing for these bushings. So I guess I second your
> question with the revisions in the last sentence.
>
> What does everyone else know about 164 steering rack bushings?

I ordered replacement bushings from Alfa Parts before I started work
on the car.  They arrived in a Fiat/Lancia/Alfa bag with the part no.
00823-88352-0000.  I believe the pair cost $12.

Both replacement bushings are pentagonal, but only the left mount
is a pentagon -- the right mount is round.  I figured I was expected
to use a five-sided bushing on the right side, too.  It does seem to
fit.

Now that the rack is out, I am considering replacing it with one for
a 5-speed car.  My 164 was originally an automatic, so it had the
limited-travel steering rack.  U-turns were very difficult to make
in one go.

Know a good sources for a 164 steering rack?