[alfa] Mirrors & Electrics

I've got a red '91 Spider (non-Veloce) with 26K miles and in excellent shape
with the exception of two minor flaws. Wing mirrors and gremlins in the
electrical system.

First, the wing mirrors. The driver side has developed what I refer to as
"floppy mirror syndrome" as it rotates freely on the shaft. Electric motor
works fine and I've temporarily secured it with clear tape but would like to
understand if anyone else has encountered this and how it can be fixed. Also
the paint on both mirrors is "flat". I've seen other Spiders from this period
which look fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. They were like this when
I purchased her in 1999. Is degradation of the mirror paint a common
occurrence? Does anyone have recommendations for locating new mirrors or
knowledge on how to fix the shaft problem.

The second problem is new within the past month. After the car has been warmed
up and driven for a while, the "start up lights" including seat belt,
emergency brake and temperature light come on briefly during acceleration and
then go off again. There is no change in the sound of the motor or indication
of any other problem, just the lights. Has any one seen this or have any
suggestion where the problem may lie?

Assistance on either of these would be appreciated.

Regards,

Larry

Lawrence K. Selan
lselan@domain.elided