[alfa] Water pump fun?

Hey folks...

The Patient: 1978 Spider
The Symptoms: engine "huffed" (don't wanna say missed, it wasn't quite
a miss) coming around an uphill turn at about 4500rpm. Nothing else,
temp gauge was at around 200. turned off heater and fan and drove
tenderly the rest of the way (1/4 mile or so) home. When I pulled into
the garage (downhill driveway) it died halfway down. At this point,
temp gauge was lower, around 185. Looked under and behind and there was
a trail of coolant all the way up the driveway and pools gathering
below. Let it cool off a while, checked, plenty of coolant left.
Started the car (temp gauge now around 145) and heard the squeaking
sound of a dead water pump, or so I'm inclined to believe. Any BTDT,
etc? I'm bringing it down to Phil's Foreign to check it out, unless
anybody has some sage advice.
Recent Work: Installed electric ignition (500 miles ago), top end
rebuild (2000 miles ago), full tuneup, timing, etc at that time.

TIA
Ben Kaupp
'78 Spider (just about ready to trade it for a miata)