Re: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #38

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:41:45 -0700 Bruce Bradsby <bbradsby@domain.elided> wrote:
> 1. The seller said it had an engine from a Milano Platinum, but said it
> was a 2.5 litre. I assume from readings here that a Plat is a 3.0 litre.
> Which size is correct?

the platinum was a 2.5L car.

> 2. What should I check immediately upon purchase to prevent the engine
> doing a hand grenade impression, and what should I check, say monthly,
> to prevent a stranding?

did the previous owner give you any idea how long the timing belt had
been in there? water pump?

is there any oil or sign of oil on the front near the timing belt?

is there any oil sitting down in the V between the heads? (it usually
gets there if the oil pressure sender is failing and has started to leak.)

in general, you don't want oil or coolant on the timing belt. the timing
belt is a 30-40 thousand mile deal. when replacing it, if the car still
has the hydraulic tensioner, then replace the rubber seals. i generally
preemptively replace water pumps at this time, as they're behind the
timing belt so the labor is similar.

there are generally "shields" behind the front wheels. they usually
to serve to trap leaves, dirt, etc., against the footwells, promoting
rust. clean this out and survey the area.

at this age, you should assume that all the fuel line is toast and
replace it. use the 7.5mm stuff for euro cars like bimmers, and use
the type g hose clamps for high pressure FI systems.

> 3. Any recommendations for a great Alfa repair shop & parts suppliers
> around SF Bay Area (East Bay preferable)?

in the SF bay area, John Norman's alfa parts business is well regarded.
the digest advertisers list includes a number of excellent mail order
businesses that supply alfa parts.

richard