Re: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #38

> Hello from a new Alfisti in San Francisco who mostly just tolerates
> cars, but got turned on to the Italian philosophy of motorized art &
> engineering by riding Ducati motorcycles.  To the point: I just
> purchased an 84 GTV-6 Maratona w/ 43k miles and have a few questions:

Welcome.  Great choice of car.   You won't be disappointed in the V6.

> 1. The seller said it had an engine from a Milano Platinum, but said it
> was a 2.5 litre. I assume from readings here that a Plat is a 3.0 litre.
> Which size is correct?

The Milano Gold, Silver and Platinum has a 2.5 V6 along with the GTV6.  The Milano Verde has the 3.0, along with the 164B/L/S.

> 2. What should I check immediately upon purchase to prevent the engine
> doing a hand grenade impression, and what should I check, say monthly,
> to prevent a stranding?

Timing belt!!  The biggest weakness of the Alfa V6.   Change it and the tensioner now.   If the P/O has records of it being changed in the last 10K miles by a reputable shop, you're probably ok.  If it's older than that, been sitting of there's no record of it, change it immediately.

Beyond that, change the oil, plugs ignition parts and clean all the grounds in the car.  Detail the electrical connections every year.

The exhaust manifolds work themselves loose so you'll need to tighten them every year too.   Check for knocks, rattles and squeeks.  Make sure the steering and suspension is tight.   It will greatly enhance the joy of driving.

Can't help you on a Bay Area shop.  Someone from the area can help you better.  Do join one of the Alfa clubs.   AROC-US are nationwide, the ARA are in CA only.

-Peter