Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:48:54 -0400
From: Kevin Trent <trentkc@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Spica Fuel Pump alternatives?

My '73 Berlina has always had an overactive fuel pressure warning light since I installed a rebuilt 1750 engine last July. The light was prone to coming on under hard use and acceleration or sustained high speed running. It ran fine, though I did seem to notice some very slight hesitation on prolonged warning light operation (but it also uses a 11 mm, 300 deg. intake cam - perhaps an alternative explanation to fuel pressure for fuel starvation symptoms at high rpm).

Two weeks ago my son and I drove to a bike race 250 miles away. The Berlina was heavily loaded and we were driving @ 4000 rpm on the interstate. The fuel pressure warning light was on, and after 80 miles the very slight hesitations turned into an inability to maintain speed. We limped to the nearest town with an auto parts store, and I purchased two feet of 3/8" fuel line, then replaced the fuel tank to fuel pump fuel line which eliminated the tank filter which I was hoping was clogged. Fortunately, this fix worked, and we were able to complete the rest of the trip at speed with no further problems, although the fuel pressure light did light up occasionally under heavy load.

When I got home I tested fuel output at the inlet to the injection pump, and it flows 1/2 gal/minute, which I believe is on the low side of the Bosch specification (is there a spec?). I have no way to test pressure. So I may have a dying fuel pump. At least it does not leak yet. I've never checked the diameter of the outlet fitting on the injection pump to see if it is 1/16".

Here is what I found about Autozone alternatives for Spica fuel pumps:

I had read that a Master E2000 would work. My local Autozone had one for $76. Its specification are 30-40 gallon per hour flow and "70-95 pounds at shutoff".

Autozone's GTV6 2.5 fuel pump application is a Master E7334 for $190. Its specifications are 50 gallons per hour and "100-110 pounds at shutoff".

Can anyone compare these Master specifications to those for the Bosch 2 or 3 or 3 port fuel pumps used on 70's Spica Alfas? What does "70-95 pounds at shutoff" mean? Is it the same metric as "fuel pressure"?

Thanks, //KCT, Powell TN