[alfa] Backfire mystery

For nearly a decade I've been putting up with a backfiring spider. Why? 1971 spider with original SPICA... say it with me folks, "bad microswitch and/or fuel cutoff solenoid". The latter is easy to fix but expensive, the former a b*tch to fix but cheap. I just put it in neutral when decelerating.

Well, while doing a final SPICA adjustment yesterday, I noted the test procedures for the fuel cutoff system. Got nothing else to lose, so I thought, "why not?" First tested the cutoff solenoid, which shut the motor down nicely when activated with a wire to the battery. Then got out a test light and followed the procedure for the microswitch. Stuck the probe into the spade, bumped the motor up to 3000, then let the throttle snap shut. Imagine my surprise at being greeted with a bright, strong light that went out precisely at 1600 rpm just like it was supposed to! Put it all back together for a test drive and sure enough, no more backfiring.

I can only think of two things: either the spica pump was so wildly out of adjustment the microswitch just didn't kick in properly, or there's a short somewhere. Strongly suspecting the latter now... maybe I'll just put a new connector on.

Oh, and on a related note... anyone know exactly how the cutoff system works? Does it put the pump section into neutral somehow, or does it simply shut off the flow of gas? If the latter, that would seem to put a dent in the "never ever run it out of gas because you'll ruin the pump" school of thought.

Any rate, felt like sharing. Thanks!

Scott J.
71 1750 Spider